The Best Christmas Celebration In The Midwest: Clear Lake, Iowa

Mr and Mrs Claus Featured Image

It’s that time of year when families are planning their holiday get togethers. If you are looking for the best Christmas parade in the midwest, look no further than Clear Lake, Iowa. Here is where you can experience carolers, a visit with Santa, lighted Christmas parade which concludes with fireworks over the lake.

Santa's House

The best tip that I can give you is to pay attention to the weather forecast. I have attended this Christmas parade in a sweatshirt and other years I have sported winter snow pants with a winter coat.

If you enjoy shopping, Clear Lake has a nice selection of specialty shops. Here is where you can find unique home decorations as well as local art that will make your jaw drop. The Red Geranium is a must stop while in Clear Lake. Here you will be inspired through beautiful creations that will turn your home or cottage into a holiday paradise unlike no other.

Red Geranium

The Clear Lake Arts Center is home to local artists work that you will not want to miss. Be sure to visit the beautiful tree that started out the season with 500 ornaments on it.

snowman ornament

Here is where you will find more one of a kind items for you and your family this holiday season. From the glass to the paintings, you will be inspired.

The weekend of December 2-4, 2016 is when you will want to plan to be in Clear Lake for the 2016 festivities. I would personally suggest that you plan to be in town on Saturday December 3rd to participate in the lighted Christmas parade and fireworks over the lake. Keep in mind that these festivities kick off at sundown.

From horse drawn carriage rides, trolley rides, to geese walking down Clear Lake’s Main Street, you will enjoy the step back in time as you find yourself celebrating the Christmas spirit.

geese on main street

Clear Lake, Iowa is an award winning destination that not only offers a Christmas parade, a kite festival in February, the best family friendly 4th of July Celebration, it also offers great food!

Starboard Market is a must stop anytime you are in Clear Lake. How’s this for lunch?

Club at Starboard

And if you need a pick me up later in the day, head on over to Cabin Coffee and grab a nice, warm cup of coffee or hot chocolate.

cabin coffee

There’s so much to celebrate in America’s Heartland, where I am proud to call home. Clear Lake, Iowa offers a good old fashioned Christmas for families of all ages. Have you experienced any of the celebrations that Clear Lake offers? If so, I’d love to hear your thoughts.

25 Comments to The Best Christmas Celebration In The Midwest: Clear Lake, Iowa

1. SaraB says:

Yes, the geese do visit yearly. Unfortunately this weekend they did not make it, as they tangled with a bobcat. The owners will be training a new flock for next years festivities.

2. Sounds very fun and festive! I love the geese walking down Main Street, does that happen every year? And is it an organised part of the Christmas festivities?

3. SaraB says:

I’m sure Costa Rica is a little more green for Christmas than Iowa is- enjoy!

4. Candace says:

Great post made me feel all warm and Christmasy Here in the Costa Rican rainforest there’s no Christmas atmosphere haha, so thank you for the vibes (www.360honeymoon.com)

5. gokulr27 says:

Have been reading a lot of wonderful post about Christmas. Nice to know about all these different ways in which Christmas is celebrated around the world.

6. Aw, that little Santa house looks so cute! I just love this time of year. Great post, thanks for sharing. Happy travels and Merry Christmas πŸ™‚

7. Nancy says:

A true “old fashioned” Christmas! If this doesn’t get you into the holiday spirit I don’t know what will! I thought the geese were really cute too.

8. SaraB says:

The geese are a favorite and unfortunately they won’t be there this year as the owners has to train a new flock. His original flock recently tangled with a bobcat, but we’ll look forward to seeing them next year. The festivities will still be fantastic!

9. Nisha says:

How lovely a Christmas could be! Loved the painted spoon and that house is so adorable.

10. Kim-Ling says:

Good to know the parade is on the 3rd! The geese walking down the street look so cute! What is the temperature like? Is it cold? Does it snow at all? I do love a northern-hemisphere Christmas!

11. Nat Deduck says:

It looks like the perfect place where to spend Christmas! Well done!

12. I love small town festivals and Christmas parades, this would definitely something I would enjoy if I was visiting the area.

13. That looks great. I’d love to celebrate the holidays in a cold climate, it’s so hot over here at that time of year food is the last thing on my mind but it all looks and sounds so good.

14. SaraB says:

And thankfully this year it looks to be in the 30’s!

15. Mary says:

That is completely adorable. I am from a small town in CT, Bethlehem and we do a huge parade and festival at Christmas time. I miss it so much and this post brought that back! Such a great way to get in the holiday spirit and feel a part of the community on the whole. Thanks for sharing and the tip on weather is huge, being dressed appropriately makes or breaks an outing like this!

16. Plushy says:

Christmas here seems very cozy. The US has the celebrations to the next level.

17. krissb71 says:

Looks like a lot of fun. I love the geese parade!

18. Hendrik says:

Lovely post and such nice pictures. Reminds me a bit to the home of Santa Claus in Akureyri, Iceland πŸ™‚
    Thank you for sharing your experiences!

19. Sam and Veren says:

Hahaha love the geese photo! So cute!! =)

20. Chen Wang says:

Super helpful post, thanks.

21. SaraB says:

Heather~ Glad to hear that you return year after year~ it’s truly one of the best!

22. Heather says:

I have visited almost every year; even having moved away and would come back to visit and attend. You will not be disappointed!

23. kylieuk says:

It’s on my birthday as well! Perfect birthday present!

24. SaraB says:

I am saddened that the holiday train is not coming through my hometown this year, but happy others will get to enjoy it~ Go see it!!!

25. kylieuk says:

That sounds like so much fun! The painted spoon is so cute and I love the geese walking down the road! I can’t wait to see the Holiday Train in Dubuque, really looking forward to that πŸ™‚